Q: How often should I replace my CO Detector?
A: Below we have posted some information obtained from Kidde. This information states that CO Detectors should be replaced every 7 years at a minimum. If your alarm is beeping every 30 seconds, even after you change the batteries, this means it's time to replace it. Please take a moment to read the information below and please contact North Lakes Fire if you have further questions.
  • UL 2034, the independent standard applicable to CO alarms, requires CO alarms to have an end of life warning.This requirement went into effect in March 2007, meaning any CO alarm manufactured after April 2007 with a UL listing must have this feature. Most states that require CO alarms in residential dwellings mandate that the alarm meet the UL 2034 standard.
  • CO alarms are measuring instruments that monitor your home 24 hours a day, seven days a week.They are designed to provide accurate readings of this odorless, invisible and tasteless gas, which are shown in parts per million (ppm), throughout the life of the alarm.However, like most home appliances or instruments, they don't last forever. In addition, unlike the instruments used by home maintenance and fire professionals, residential CO alarms cannot be calibrated periodically to verify accuracy.For this reason a residential CO alarm must have a defined end of life.
  • Sensing technology in CO alarms has made several advances since these devices became common in households.In order to benefit from the latest innovations, Kidde recommends consumers replace their CO alarms every seven years.
  • All Kidde CO alarms manufactured after 2001 contain an end of life warning. This warning is set to sound seven years after the unit received initial power.Kidde conducts long-term reliability tests, which show that our CO sensors perform consistently for at least seven years.In addition, beginning in 2008, Kidde increased its warranty on the Nighthawk CO alarms from five to seven years.
Q: Does North Lakes Fire & Rescue solicit donations by telephone?
A: North Lakes Fire & Rescue does NOT solicit donations by telephone. Recently a telephone campaign was conducted requesting funds for local firefighters. We want to stress this fund does not benefit the North Lakes department in any way. In fact most of the funds donated to that organization are paid to an out-of-state company, and only a small portion benefits fire departments in Maine.
Please feel free to contact Chief Woods or Deputy Chief Belanger directly with any questions about fund raising.

Q: What area does North Lakes Fire & Rescue cover?
A: North Lakes Fire & Rescue is located in Aroostook County Maine and covers the townships of Cross Lake (T17-R5), Sinclair (T17-R4), Madawaska Lake (T16-R4) & Square Lake (T16-R5). These townships include the water bodies of Cross Lake, a part of Long Lake, Mud Lake, Big Madawaska Lake & Square Lake. The main roads in these areas are US Rt. 161 and US Rt. 162.

That is roughly 144 square miles of area covered by the North Lakes Fire Department.

Q: Do I need a Fire Permit to have a bonfire at my camp?
A: Yes. The State of Maine requires all personal fires to be permitted. The permits are free if obtained from the local Fire Warden or Forest Ranger. The reason permits are required is to keep us and Maine Forest Rangers informed as to where a fire is burning. This prevents unnecessary dispatch due to a false alarm called in on your camp or home. Please read the terms on the permit as they are specific, spelling out exactly what you are responsible for.

In the Cross Lake area contact:
Warden Stephen Belanger at (207)834-7309
Deputy Warden Joshua Belanger at (207)551-0582

In the Sinclair area contact:
Warden Jim Daigle at (207)543-7406
Deputy Warden Jennie Beaulieu at (207)834-5156 or (207)543-6422

On the East side of Long Lake contact:
Warden Jim Daigle at (207)543-7406
Deputy Warden Jennie Beaulieu at (207)834-5156 or (207)543-6422

In the Madawaska Lake or Square Lake areas contact:
Maine Forst Service at (207)435-7963 ext 1

You can also obtain a burn permit online and print it out. This will run a cost of $7 with some of that money coming back into the local fire protection fund. You can get them at